A FEW FACTS
- Ortega is the wealthiest retailer in the world
- Ortega launched the first online boutique for ZARA on September 6, 2010
- He is famously known for keeping a very low profile due to his preference for simple lifestyle. He has declined interviews for years and it took more than 20 years for his photo to be published.
- In 2011, Ortega announced his imminent retirement from Inditex, parent company of the Zara chain
- In order to start his own company, he asked for a loan of 2000 pesetas, or about 30 euros from the bank to create a cheaper version of a quilted bathrobe that became the foundation of his business.
- Ortega employs more than 200 people in the Zara’s creative team
- He was born on March 28, 1936, in Busdongo de Arbás, León, Spain to Antonio Ortega Rodríguez, a railway worker and Josefa Gaona Hernández, a housemaid.
- His first wife, Rosalie Mera co-founded the company, passed away in 2013. She was the richest woman in Spain, at the time of her death.
- His third daughter Marta Ortega, who is rumored to take over the textile empire.