$54.5 B: Net Worth in 2017
$50.1 B: Net Worth in 2016
$77.2 B: Net Worth in 2015
A FEW FACTS
- Carlos Slim Helú was born on January 28, 1940, in Mexico City, Mexico, to parents of Lebanese descent.
- One of six children, and his father was a successful dry goods business owner.
- Slim and his siblings were taught business from an early age by their father and by the age of 12, Slim bought shares in a Mexican bank.
- He attended the National Autonomous University of Mexico, to study civil engineering.
- Carlos tied the knot to his longtime love Soumaya Domit Gemayel, a Lebanese girl, back in the year 1967. Carlos was just 26 years of age at the time of his marriage.
- By 1966, he was already worth an estimated US$40 million and growing.
- On April 23, 2014, Slim gained control of his first successful European acquisition, ‘Telekom Austria’. The company has already established mobile services in seven European countries.
- He has founded three non-profit foundations, namely, Fundación Carlos Slim Helú, Fundación Telmex and Fundación del Centro Histórico de la Ciudad de México A.C. These foundations concentrate on Mexico City and look after arts, education, and health care; one for sports; and one for downtown restoration.
- Slim underwent heart surgery in 1999. After the heart surgery he started taking it easy and passed the daily business affairs of his many holdings to his children.
- Carlos and Soumaya have a total of six kids together. Carlos Slim Domit, the oldest son in the family is a businessman. He is one of the richest men in the United States. He completed his graduation in Business Administration from Universidad Anahuac.