Born: White Plains
$56.2 B: Net Worth in 2017
$44.7 B: Net Worth in 2016
$33.5 B: Net Worth in 2015
A FEW FACTS
- Zuckerberg first launched Facebook from his dormitory at Harvard University.
- A movie was made about Zuckerberg and the birth of Facebook, called The Social Network.
- One of his favorite books is The Aeneid, and one of his favorite TV shows is The West Wing, which was created by Aaron Sorkin, the man who also wrote the movie based on the creation of Facebook, The Social Network.
- Mark Zuckerberg attended high school at Phillips Exeter Academy, a private school in New Hampshire.
- He was approached by several companies with job offers (including AOL and Microsoft) before he even graduated high school, but Zuckerberg turned them all down.
- Zuckerberg created CourseMatch for Harvard students, helping students pick out classes based on which classes their friends were enrolled in.
- Zuckerberg was close friends with Sean Parker, the co-founder of Napster, who also became a founding president of Facebook.
- Mark Zuckerberg was one of the early adopters of Google+, saying that it validated his vision of mainstream social networking.
- Zuckerberg has supported numerous philanthropic causes, most famously donating $100 million to rescue the struggling Newark Public Schools system of New Jersey.
- He’s always been interested in ancient languages such as Latin, and he can speak Mandarin.
- Many big name companies wanted to see if he wanted to sell — NewsCorp, MySpace, Viacom, Yahoo, NBC, Microsoft (again) and Google all put their hats in the ring — but Zuckerberg held firm.
- Zuckerberg reportedly has a team of 12 people that tend to his Facebook account to monitor the comments, write his posts and take the photographs that end up on his page.